Health insurance companies are doing as much as they can to help their clients lead more active lifestyles. From incentives for policy holders who exercise on a regular basis to reduced rates for yearly physicals and health exams, there are many ways that health insurance companies are trying to encourage people to live a healthier life.
Unfortunately, the latest research indicate that many of us are not getting the amount of physical exercise that we need. Even more unfortunate is the fact that this lack of exercise leads to a number of chronic health problems. From heart disease to diabetes, sedentary lifestyles are a leading contributor to the fact that the nation’s health costs are as expensive as they are.
Health insurance plans are more and more expensive not only because of the rising costs of medicines and evaluative care, but also because there are a growing number of people whose unhealthy lifestyle leads them to the need for more procedures and emergency health situations.
The Best Health Plans Encourage Clients to Live Healthier Lifestyles
Whether you are looking for a new health insurance company for a new business that you are starting or you are looking at rates that will allow you to save your current company money, it is important to pay attention to details like premiums, deductibles, and healthy incentives. Consider some of these facts and figures about many of the things that affect health care costs:
- Between 2014 and 2015, spending on prescription drugs increased by 9%.
- 49% of out-of-pocket costs for healthcare visits were less than $500 in 2017, according to a recent TransUnion Healthcare analysis.
- Including both deductibles and out-of-pocket costs,, healthcare costs have gone up by almost 30% since 2015.
- The U.S. healthcare total expenditure in 2015 amounted to $3.2 trillion, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- $698.3 billion was spent on physician and clinical services in the U.S. in 2017.
- 32.2% of the national healthcare spending in 2015 went to hospital care.
It is important to realize that you want to rely on more than just health insurance to live a healthy life. It is also important to eat as healthy as possible and get the recommended amount of physical activity.