These are the road trips that you most look forward to, but also the ones that you dread the most.
When you and your two college friends road trip the 12 hours south to visit your daughter’s college campus, there is plenty of time for conversations. The fact that the three of you are in entirely different stages of your life makes for a varied set of conversations. Although your friends like to hear about how your two daughters, one a senior in high school and one a senior in college, the conversations often turn to a more difficult conversation. One of your friends has two adult children who are successful in their careers and their family, but the other friend is facing a very difficult challenge.
Her oldest son, after getting married and living across the country for five years, is now back home dealing with alcohol addiction. This is a challenging situation that includes sad and horrible stories that could, if you allowed them, could fill the entire 24 hour round trip. For relief, however, you often alternate between the good news involved with most of your families and the difficult stories that your friend has of the struggle to deal with addiction.
By the end of the trip, all three of you are hopeful that the current rehab detox center visit will provide some hope.
Alcohol Detox Centers Offer the Hope That Many Families Are Searching For
Whether you are dealing with the addiction of a loved one in your family or you are providing a shoulder to cry on for a friend, addiction is a crippling disease that affects not only the addict, but the friends and family of the addict as well. Consider some of these troubling statistics about the various types of addiction that many individuals and families are facing:
- Before drug rehab can begin, drug detox must be completed.
- Fortunately, only 10% to 20% of alcoholics have alcohol withdrawal that is severe enough to require medication and monitoring.
- Nearly 13.8 million Americans, which represents more than 7% of the population ages 18 years and older, have problems with drinking, including 8.1 million people who suffer from alcoholism.
- 80% of new heroin users began by misusing prescription painkillers.
- On average, alcohol addiction patients receive treatment, like those offered at a rehab detox center, eight years after the age at which they develop the condition.
A drug or alcohol rehab detox center can provide many addicts with the tools and resources that they need to tackle one of the biggest challenges that many people will ever face.